If you've been convicted of a DWI, you are no doubt feeling shame, embarrassment and even scorn from your friends and family. It can be difficult to find the support and resources you need in order to get help for your alcohol and/or drug problems, especially if you've already had trouble with the law. Rest assured, though, that there are resources that will help you without making you feel ashamed. In New York, our lawyers have worked with many of these organizations located in Nassau County, and we wanted to shre these resources with you. These groups understand that everyone makes mistakes, and your DWI or DUI doesn't make you a bad person.
If you live in the Nassau County, NY area, and need help with your alcohol recovery, here are some resources to get you started.
- Nassau County Department of Drug & Alcohol Addiction: This is a government-owned site that provides information and help in regards to both drug and alcohol addiction. They have a 24-hour crisis hotline, as well as several other groups and resources where you can find help. Their mission is to reduce the number of alcohol and drug-related incidents by providing both educational resources and prevention programs.
- Long Island Council on Alcohol and Drug Addiction: This group provides intervention, support group activities and professional guidance to individuals, children and families in order to help people overcome their alcohol addictions. This is a not-for-profit agency that has been operating for over 57 years. They hold numerous workshops and educational programs, too. Check their site for more information.
- Nassau Alliance for Addiction Services: This is a resource site for those looking for help in dealing with alcohol, drug or gambling addictions. This not-for-profit agency is committed to providing individuals with affordable and comprehensive programs and resources.
- Community Counseling Services of West Nassau, Inc: With a staff of professional and licensed counselors and social workers, they provide individuals and families with the help they need to overcome addiction.
- Family Service League: They offer a host of services to families in need and provide with a wide range of issues covering everything from help with housing to addiction counseling.
- Intervention America: They are a national organization that offers both in-house and outpatient programs and resources to help individuals overcome alcohol and drug addictions.
- The Kenneth Peters Center for Recovery: They are well-known for providing education, resources and programs for alcohol and drug addiction.
In addition, if you're looking for therapy, here is a list of local alcohol abuse therapists provided by Psychology Today. These licensed professionals can help you overcome your addiction.
If you have been charged with a DUI / DWI and want help, seek out one of the agencies above to take the first step. Remember that you don't have to go through it alone, and that there are many professionals who care about your well being. Don't be afraid to reach out, help is closer than you might think.
If you need help finding resources in you area, please contact us and we can help you find organizations that will provide support.